Data from satellite missions, Earth Venture (EV) missions, or airborne and field investigations must meet specific requirements. Below is a summary of these requirements. Inter-team responsibilities and relationships are also diagrammed below.
(If your data are not from one of these platforms, please see the Competitive Program and Other Data Products page.)
- Support NASA in the development of program requirements:
- Support NASA's Earth Science Data and Information System (ESDIS) in the development of an Inter-Project Agreement IPA) (PDF).
- Develop and maintain a Data Management Plan (DMP).
- Comply with NASA's Earth Science Data and Information Policy.
- Comply with NASA's Earth Science Open Source Software Policy.
- Conform to approved community standards for data formats, interfaces, and metadata.
- Deliver to the NASA-designated Distributed Active Archive Center (DAAC):
- Standard science data product, including coefficients, ancillary data, and source code used to generate them.
- Product documentation (Algorithm Theoretical Basis Documents [ATBD], user's guide, data quality information, etc.).
- Present a plan to preserve data at mission close-out according to NASA Earth Science Data Preservation Content specifications.
The designated DAAC will:
- Assign Level of Service.
- Create and maintain a public landing page on the DAAC website to provide access to the data product(s), services, and guidance on how to properly cite data.
- Create the product’s Digital Object Identifier (DOI).
- Enable data and imagery search via Earth Observing System Data and Information System (EOSDIS) data tools.
Close collaboration is required between the data provider and the designated DAAC to ensure timeliness and accuracy for public release of data. Data are made publicly available at the DAAC prior to publication of journal articles based on the data. Read more about data rights.
Responsibilities and Processes
These charts highlight the various responsibilities, processes, and inter-team relationships required for hosting data from satellite, Earth Venture, and airborne missions in EOSDIS.
Earth Venture Suborbital Data Producer, DAAC, and ADMG Roles and Expectations (PDF)
For further reference, please consult our glossary and acronym list.
Have a question or want to get started? Contact us.
Previous Standards and Templates Versions
- Program-Level Requirements Appendix (PLRA) Spaceborne Mission/Instrument Science Data Requirements Template Version 3.1 (orbital) (PDF)
- Program Level Requirements Appendix (PLRA) Spaceborne Mission/Instrument Science Data Requirements Template Version 3.0 (orbital) (PDF)
- Program Level Requirements Appendix (PLRA) Spaceborne Mission/Instrument Science Data Requirements Template Version 2.1 (orbital) (PDF)