NASA's ESDIS Standards Coordination Office (ESCO) assists NASA's Earth Science Data and Information System (ESDIS) Project in formulating standards policy for NASA Earth Science Data Systems (ESDS), coordinates standards activities within ESDIS, and provides technical expertise and assistance with standards related tasks within NASA's Earth Science Data System Working Groups (ESDSWG).
ESCO maintains a list of standards approved for use in NASA Earth Science Data Systems, as well as related technical information and useful ESDS references. ESCO also leads the ESCO Standards Interest Group (SIG) to facilitate discussion about data systems standards, conventions, and best practices relevant to NASA's Earth Observing System Data and Information System (EOSDIS).
ESCO leads the formation of technical working groups that are responsible for reviewing candidate standards and technical notes that may be brought forward by ESDSWG, ESDIS, or others in NASA's Earth science community. ESCO recruits members for technical working groups from within ESDSWG participants as well as from the broader NASA Earth science community.
ESCO serves other ESDIS teams such as the Common Metadata Repository (CMR) project team and the International Directory Network (IDN) project team by conducting public reviews of documents on an as-needed basis.
- Standards and References: A listing and description of standards approved for use in NASA Earth science data systems, including data formats, metadata formats, and discovery and access technologies.
- Standards Process: An overview of the process for identification of appropriate standards and subsequent adoption for use in NASA Earth science data systems.
- Instructions to RFC Authors: How to submit a document to ESCO for consideration via the standards process.
- ESCO collaboration area: The collaboration area for the Standards Interest Group, Standards Process Review Working Group and other technical working groups.
- ESCO SIG: A discussion group focused on data systems standards, conventions, and best practices relevant to the Earth Observing System Data and Information System (EOSDIS).
- ESCO Document Reviews: ESCO solicits reviews of documents submitted as part of the Standards Process.
- CMR Reviews: ESCO assists the CMR project Team with public reviews of metadata documents.
- GCMD Keywords Reviews: ESCO assists the GCMD project Team with public reviews of GCMD Keyword releases.