NASA’s Level-1 and Atmosphere Archive and Distribution System Distributed Active Archive Center (LAADS DAAC) has announced the public release of Version 2.0 Deep Blue (DB) Aerosol global product suites. These products were created from data acquired by the Visible Infrared Imaging Radiometer Suite (VIIRS) instruments aboard the joint NASA/NOAA Suomi National Polar-orbiting Partnership (Suomi NPP) and NOAA-20 satellites.
Version 2.0 Deep Blue Aerosol Products
The Version 2.0 Deep Blue Aerosol global product suites include Level 2 and daily and monthly Level 3 products:
- VIIRS/Suomi NPP Deep Blue Aerosol Level 2 6-Minute Swath 6 kilometer
- VIIRS/NOAA-20 Deep Blue Aerosol Level 2 6-Minute Swath 6 kilometer
Level 3 Daily:
- VIIRS/Suomi NPP Deep Blue Level 3 daily aerosol data, 1x1 degree grid
- VIIRS/NOAA-20 Deep Blue Level 3 daily aerosol data, 1x1 degree grid
Level 3 Monthly:
- VIIRS/Suomi NPP Deep Blue Level 3 monthly aerosol data, 1x1 degree grid
- VIIRS/NOAA-20 Deep Blue Level 3 monthly aerosol data, 1x1 degree grid
Note: The Suomi NPP record in the product suite begins on March 1, 2012, and the NOAA-20 record begins on February 17, 2018.
The Deep Blue Aerosol Science Team developed the DB algorithm to improve the earlier Dark Target Aerosol Optical Depth (AOD) algorithm by filling in gaps over bright terrestrial surfaces, such as deserts and other areas with sparse vegetation. Addressing these gaps was important given that these areas are often sources of aerosols such as wind-blown mineral dust. Further, in addition to aiding the detection of aerosols over light-colored surface areas, the DB algorithm has enhanced aerosol detection over darker land surfaces, such as areas of thick vegetation. As a result of these enhancements, DB measurements of AOD have become more accurate and precise, with well-quantified error characteristics.
For more detailed information about each product, including file formats, science dataset layers, and details about the differences between product versions, follow the individual product links.