The Airborne Mission Data System Requirements and Satellite Mission Data Requirements from NASA Headquarters Earth Science Division include Mission Requirements from NASA's Earth Science Data and Information System (ESDIS) Project as well as the approved list of standards shown below. These Mission Requirements are managed through the ESDIS configuration control process involving review and comments from all affected organizations. Additional standards and conventions approved for use in NASA Earth science data systems are managed by the ESDIS Standards Coordination Office (ESCO).
ESDIS Mission Requirements currently include:
- ISO 19115 Geographic Information Metadata Standard
- NASA Earth Science Data Preservation Content Specification (PCS)
- Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) for EOSDIS
- Templates for NASA Data Management Plans
* Note that for newer missions, starting with Soil Moisture Active Passive (SMAP) in 2015, the above requirements have been included in the mission Program Level Requirements. For earlier missions, the above requirements should be applied on a best effort basis.
For the full list of ESD-approved standards, as well as best practices and lessons learned, please see the ESD-approved Standards and Practices page.